Economic and Social Benefits
Énergie Saguenay will generate significant economic benefits for the Saguenay—Lac-Saint-Jean region and for Quebec.
During construction (4 years)
- 6,000 direct and indirect jobs, with 4,000 direct jobs during the peak period;
- Economic benefits: $605 M per year;
- Tax revenues: $110 M per year
- During operation:
- 1,350 direct and indirect jobs, with 250-300 shared between the facility and administrative offices in Saguenay;
- Economic benefits: $807 M per year;
- Tax revenue: $110 M per year.
- Business opportunities for regional companies (services, manpower, and materials).
- Expansion of gas supply to the region.
- Diversification of the regional economy.
- Development of expert know-how in LNG production and transportation.
- Opportunity to develop a new research and education niche.
- Significant purchases of hydroelectricity will benefit Quebec.
- Increased tax income for the region and its governments.